10 February 2019
10 February 2019,
 Off

What NOT to feed your special canine friend

 

 

 

Biltong, rib bones and dental sticks – all extremely popular doggie treats for the spoilt South African canines out there. Leftovers are a hit too! We love to spoil our dogs! But how often do we think about the repercussions of what we feed our furry friends?

 

We’ve all obviously been pet owners long enough to know that chocolate is a BIG no no, but how many more doggie-dangerous items are lurking around in our fridges that we don’t even know about? Here are a few household regulars that you didn’t know were poisonous to your dogs:

 

1. Caffeine

 

 

This is a seemingly obvious one. Caffeine isn’t good for humans, so why would it be good for dogs? Much like chocolate, caffeine contains a stimulant called Theobromine that targets the dog’s gut, heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Licking up your spilled morning coffee or tea isn’t likely to do much damage, but swallowing large quantities of caffeine will likely be dangerous to your dog.

 

2. Garlic and onions

 

 

These vegetables, specifically onions, are extremely toxic to dogs, as they can cause severe gut irritation and could potentially lead to red blood cell damage and anaemia. Signs of poisoning usually only occur days after your dog has ingested the vegetable, so be vigilant!

 

3. Alcohol

 

 

According to Vetsnow, alcohol is significantly more toxic to dogs than to humans. When consumed, even small quantities of alcoholic beverages and food products may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, blood changes, coma and even death. So, remember to keep alcohol well out of your dog’s reach.

 

4. Grapes and raisins

 

 

Grapes and raisins are particularly dangerous as they can cause severe kidney failure with as little as just one raisin being potentially life threatening. Scientists have concluded that there is no safe dosage of grapes or raisins and thus they should be removed from your pet’s diet entirely.

 

5. Xylitol

 

 

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in foods like sugarless gum, sugar-free sweets and baked goods. It can also be found in toothpaste, mouthwash, chewable vitamins and cough drops. Ingestion can cause a life-threatening drop in your dog’s blood sugar, as well as liver damage. Symptoms include vomiting, seizures and loss of coordination, which can occur anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after ingestion.

 

Author: Andrea Wilkins

 

Planning a holiday? We can look after your home and pets! Complete a quick enquiry, and we will match you with a suitable sitter near you.

Then, fill in our detailed Pet Parent Instruction sheet and enjoy a FREE meeting to discuss your needs and expectations.

Our sitters take care of your fur kids as per your unique, detailed instructions, sending you daily pictures and updates.

We offer daily visits, twice-a-day visits and stay-overs, ranging from only R130 – R250 per day.

 

We can’t wait to hear from you!

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes

Comments are closed.